Software Engineer, iOS
Flick was founded in 2018 by Nigel Eccles and Rob Jones who previously founded FanDuel (one of Scotland’s largest consumer companies which they grew to 500 employees and a user base of over 6 millions users). Flick closed its initial $4m seed round in 2018, and is currently situated in CodeBase, one of Scotland's leading tech incubators located in the heart of Edinburgh. Our mission is to transform the world of podcasting. We’ve built a group chat platform exclusively for podcasters that enables podcasters to create a community around their podcast. By getting closer interaction with fans Podcasters can better engage their community, grow it and monetise their content.
We Focus on Culture First
As an experienced team that’s been through a number of startups, we want to develop a great working culture, where above all else it’s a fun place to work. We pride ourselves on doing amazing work and working hard, but also enjoying ourselves along the way. Not only do we focus on learning with each release, we also focus on self-improvement, building on our past experiences and learning from our peers. We all bring unique views to the table and enjoy collaborating together to break new barriers.
We're a small, close-knit team that moves quickly. We work in two-week sprints with clear goals and metrics to aim towards across our native iOS and Android apps. We experiment towards success. But we get there as a team. It’s a highly collaborative effort, with everyone having a voice that’s heard. Each team member is as comfortable having product vision discussions as they are writing code or tweaking designs - we believe it’s important that the whole team is included and participate in sculpting the product for the end user.
What We're Looking For
We’re looking to expand our small team of 11 people to 13. That’s where you come in… As a key hire for our iOS team you’ll be responsible for concepting, building new features, squashing bugs, architecting cleaner code, and extending device support across the iOS ecosystem.
You'll love this role if:
- You thrive in a highly-collaborative, agile team
- You enjoy the flexibility to learn and work with new technologies to solve problems
- You work hard, but you know it’s important to have fun while you do so
- You take full ownership of your work and drive it through to an end solution
- You realise your first idea isn’t always your best idea and that great solutions come from iteration
- You have great empathy for our end-users, and understand the value of good design and a good quality product
- You're keen to be an early member of a startup where you’ll get the rare opportunity to help shape the company and influence the overall direction of the product from the outset
Some qualifications you may have (we’re not strict here):
- A formal education in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- You have contributed to shipping one or more apps to the App Store
- Ideally experience in mobile development
- Strong expertise in Swift and a deep understanding of iOS SDK
- Understanding of application architecture and design patterns
- Versed in analyzing a feature in production using analytics and experiments
- You are pragmatic and don't overdo on abstraction, testing, and processes, but you understand the value and trade-offs
- A good knowledge of iOS SDK performance tools and optimisation techniques
Some of our employee benefits include:
- Remote working a few days a week
- Flexible work hours - we don’t focus on 9-5, you know when you work best
- The very best equipment and software (PC or Mac, monitor, accessories etc)
- Full holiday allowance (24 days + bank holidays)
- Equity in a new startup with a highly experienced team
- 5% pension contribution
- Professional and personal development - we have a healthy budget for training, conferences, online tutorials and anything else that helps you progress
You’ll also get:
- 10% time to play around with new concepts and new software
- Regular all-in hack days to experiment with new code and new ideas
- Product, Design and Engineering all in one place for easy collaboration
- A fun place to work! We work hard but we also enjoy ourselves
- No hierarchy or politics, just good work with passionate, smart people
- To work alongside the best designers and engineers in the industry
If you don’t tick all of the points above but you’re passionate about the role then just let us know, we’re keen to hear from you and we recognise that your CV is only one small part of the picture. We’re keen to build a team that’s diverse and welcome varied backgrounds and experiences.
You’ll get bonus points for sending through links to code or apps you’ve worked on.
If this sounds like a place where you can achieve your best work then we’d love to hear from you!